Re: Availability of kdb

From: Paul Jakma (paul@clubi.ie)
Date: Sun Sep 10 2000 - 20:26:03 EST

arrgghh jeff...

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> One of the principal architects at Compaq called me Friday after
> reading Linus' email about not caring about commercial or support
> issues for commercialization of Linux on this topic-- his right

yes it his right. he cares about the 'goodness' of the kernel. The
commercial and support issues he doesn't care about - that's the
domain of redhat/suse/compaq/etc../etc... and timpanogas (if you so
choose).

if you need debugger -> add it to your local tree/ship with a
debugger to your customers.

> contrary to his development philosophy, so it's probably a
> complete waste of my time.

linux kernel hackers do the worrying about 'goodness'

but there is *nothing* that stops commerce adding tweaks to help with
support issues! (RedHat/SuSE/etc kernels are heavily patched and
tweaked!)

--
Paul Jakma	paul@clubi.ie
PGP5 key: http://www.clubi.ie/jakma/publickey.txt