Re: [RFC] Wine speedup through kernel module

From: David Howells (David.Howells@nexor.co.uk)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 03:35:07 EST

Dan Maas <dmaas@dcine.com> wrote:
> This is done all the time -- with ioctl(). It's perfectly normal to create a
> special character device that just responds to an ioctl for each operation
> you want to perform. See eg any sound card driver...

Yes, that's how I'm doing it at the moment. However, this incurs a penalty
because of the the number of standard ioctl()'s the system checks for first,
before passing the command to my handler.

What Robert suggested was to use write() to do the deed, which I don't think
is a good idea.

David Howells