Re: Availability of kdb

From: Martin Dalecki (dalecki@evision-ventures.com)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 09:41:51 EST

Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:

> The analogy to typing hex codes or toggling code at the console is
> also apt. Unix ascended over Multix in no small part because of C,
> which drew sneers from the trad programmer of the day. Personally, I
> tend to debug intuitively based on my knowledge of code, but not
> exclusively. In my 25 years in this business, I have seen amazing
> things done with debuggers, things that had stumped whole teams of
> very good programmers. Intuition still plays a vital role, but gdb in
> the right hands can prove things that would take months of code
> tweaking to do by hand.

Maybe it's that just 25 years in this industry made you for Alzheimer,
since
you should know that the first versions of UNIX where actually written
in
plain assembler. So C certainly isn't what made for it's success in
first place.
And then please just compare C with any other modern programming
language like
pascal/modula/java/C++/objective/C/ADA or anything elese. From all of
them
C is the most "assembler alike" language and still the most widely used
for OS programming out there: BeOS, NT, UNIX, QNX, VMS, CP/M, DOS, Mach,
and so on and so on.

Second: GDB is DREADFULL in terms of user friendliness...