Re: [ANNOUNCE] Darkstar Development Project

From: Jamie Lokier (lk@tantalophile.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 17:24:26 EST

Larry McVoy wrote:
> We have a hack in BK for this, at least I think we do, where we can look at
> the time stamps to notice that you haven't modified the files. We don't
> use it because of NFS screwing up timestamps. I suppose we could enable
> it on a per repository basis so that if you knew you were running NTP or
> some other thing to keep your time stamps right, then we could diff as
> fast as we can stat.

I'd love to see a filesystem feature where I could efficiently identify
"changed files", where "changed" is defined by last time this application
checked or something similar. A bonus would be to propagate this up
directory trees. Yes I know about hard links, and it's not necessary to
propagate up trees in those cases. (The application can just remember
paths of directories containing hard links, and not depend on the
per-directory bits for those paths).

There are ways to do it but not much enthusiasm last time I brought it
up.

-- Jamie