Re: [ANNOUNCE] Darkstar Development Project

From: Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 18:07:51 EST

On Mon, Sep 11, 2000 at 05:48:44PM -0500, Tony Mantler wrote:

> "It's the latency, stupid". I wouldn't care to argue whether CVS is slower
> than BK or not, but consider that if you had a router between you and the
> CVS server that was dropping even 5% of your packets, or even just bumping
> the latency by a quarter second (and I've seen routers that do that. evil
> things), the timing numbers will jump *significantly*.

Well, err, I guess I'm pretty stupid, but how about this? If the lxr guy
is listening to all this, he could download a copy of BK, clone the FSMlabs
tree, then I'll do a null pull from him, and we'll have an apples to apples
comparison, now won't we?

I think it's a pointless thing to do, I already know that CVS transfers way
more data to do the same operation so it's a foregone conclusion it will be
slower. But I'm very happy to do it if the lxr guy (sorry, I've forgotten
your name, I apologize) is willing. Send me private mail, it shouldn't take
very long at all to get you set up.

--
---
Larry McVoy            	   lm@bitmover.com           http://www.bitmover.com/lm