Re: [RFC] Wine speedup through kernel module

From: David Howells (David.Howells@nexor.co.uk)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 06:19:14 EST

David Woodhouse <dwmw2@infradead.org> wrote:
> Unless it's _absolutely_ necessary, the kernel image (i.e. vmlinux) should
> not contain any code which is dependent on CONFIG_*_MODULE options.
>
> Therefore, stuff like...
>
> #ifdef CONFIG_WIN32_MODULE
> EXPORT_SYMBOL(my_win32_helper_func);
> #endif
>
> ...would mean that you have to recompile the kernel and reboot to enable the
> module, rather than just compiling and loading the module.

Ah... I did misunderstand you. I thought you meant CONFIG_MODULES in general,
which'd be okay - obviously, if module support is disabled, you can't load a
module anyway.

No, I wasn't planning to do that. I was thinking more along the lines of
adding another handler in to struct exec_domain, but that isn't especially
generic.

I think now that I'm probably best providing a generic pluggable syscall
handler, one that is very careful to make sure the syscall can't be entered
whilst the module is being unloaded.

David Howells