Re: Update Linux 2.4 Status/TODO list

From: Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@MIT.EDU)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2000 - 09:19:48 EST

   Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 23:55:55 -0700
   From: David Ford <david@kalifornia.com>

   Please add 'APM resume returns the machine to the first tty, crashes
   X' This appeared w/ test8. If this is intended, I'd be very happy to
   know if so and I can write in to xfree86 about it. If not
   intended..fix needed.

Can you send more information? Hardware, etc. Do we know whether this
is a hardware specific problem, or a more general problem?

> 10. To Do But Non Showstopper
> * PCMCIA/Cardbus hangs (Basically unusable - Hinds pcmcia code is
> reliable)
> + PCMCIA crashes on unloading pci_socket

   With test8, pcmcia either with kernel code, mixed, or dhinds code;
   nothing is usable.

Can you send more details? I don't have a scratch laptop to try 2.4.0,
and I'm too chicken to put it there. (My laptop has to work; it's a
production machine; failure is not an option. Among other things, the
master 2.4.0 bug list lives there. :-)

> * cdrecord doesn't work (produces CD-ROM coasters) w/o any errors
> reported, works under 2.2 (Damon LoCascio)

   Hmm, upgrade cdrecord perhaps? I'm using the second to last release and I'm
   not burning coasters. cdrecord is undergoing a scsi subsystem rewrite.

According to Damon LoCascio, he's using the latest cdrecord.

Kernel : 2.4.0-test5
SCSI : Advansys APB940U Quad scsi controller
CDRW : Yamaha 8824CDRW
CPU : AMD K6-III @450 MHz
Mem : 256Mb
MB : FIC 503+
CDrecord : 1.6, 1.81, 1.9, 1.10

He says that it works just fine under 2.2.16, and he's seeing subtle
data corruption problems under 2.4 (sometimes only 100 bytes between
binary files). It could be a hardware problem where the 2.4 kernel is
stressing things more than the 2.2 kernel; or it could be a SCSI
controller specific problem. It's not clear.

> Fixed
> * Keyboard/mouse problems (should be fixed?)

   Related to pcmcia, no, not fixed. Certain mixes of drivers and hardware can
   stick the interrupt until they're removed and a different card inserted.

Can you give more information on this one? What specifically is going
on? There's no name associated with it, which means it was entered
while Alan was maintaining the list, so I have no history associated
with it. (For that matter, it may be referring to different problem
from the one you're seeing now.)

Thanks for the update, and your comments. (The rest of your comments
will be on the linux24.sourceforge.net web page shortly.)

                                                        - Ted