Re: [RFC] Wine speedup through kernel module

From: John Levon (moz@compsoc.man.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 09:00:45 EST

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, David Woodhouse wrote:

> [snip]
>
> Code your win32 support module to register the PER_WIN32 personality, and
> set the sys_win32_handler pointer appropriately. Probably not in that order.

Could this be a solution for modules that intercept system calls from
"normal" processes ?

Assuming fork() and friends are intercepted, could a
new personality be set which would use-count the module, preventing the
unload-whilst-processes-sleeping problem ?

I'm unsure whether this lcall7 thing would work at all... would the normal
process still go through ENTRY(system_call) ?

this would be a much nicer solution than use-counting each system call
individually, implying atomic_inc/atomic_dec each time, or making the
module unloadable and providing ioctl()s instead of module parameters.

Is this possible ?

thanks
john