Re: Proposal: Linux Kernel Patch Management System

From: almesber@lrc.di.epfl.ch
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 10:55:55 EST

Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> From: R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl (Rogier Wolff)

> So under a "good" patch maintenance system, I'd have liked to generate
> the patch, and have it wait until I approve it.
>
> We talked about doing something like that, but at that point you need
> PGP signatures of the developers,

The robot could just return a random string which can be used to
release (or maybe also delete) the patch. That way, one could also
send the release key to the maintainer.

Advantage over sending the patch first to the maintainer, then to
the patch system: the patch submitted is guaranteed to be identical
to the one reviewed, without any possibility for human error.

Of course, some evil guy could snoop the key, but the damage that
guy could do would be rather limited anyway.

- Werner