Re: Getting past the 16-bit dev_t limitation.

From: Matt Yourst (yourst@mit.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 17:24:23 EST

>I am working on a project that is going to find the current limit of
>16-bits for device numbers to be a pain. While looking around in the
>linux-kernel archive, ...

This is the whole reason Linux 2.4 uses devfs (device filesystem) -
there is no need to use device numbers; you just register the name in
the /dev/whatever namespace and it's done. (The kernel will assign a
unique old-style 16-bit number for compatibility purposes as needed.)
See linux/Documentation/filesystems/devfs/README for the full story.

- Matt Yourst