Re: New topic (PowerPC Linux PCI HELL)

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 17:02:45 EST

Gérard Roudier wrote:
> This function delegates too much as a whole to the PCI generic layer, IMO.
> Imagine that for sanity I want to allocate all the device resources, but
> only _enable_ part of device features (for example only memory
> transactions). Imagine some special handling to be necessary due to some
> chip bug.

Blindly enabling PIO on VGA devices is bad news, cuz they all want to
grab 0x3?0 ports. I always imagined it as something of a special case
though.

So for VGA devices I agree with you -- I don't care how a device is
"enabled", but it would be nice tell the PCI layer that PIO or MMIO bits
in PCI_COMMAND need special handling. PCI_DONT_TOUCH_PIO and
PCI_DONT_TOUCH_MMIO maybe :)

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik              | Would you *really* want to
Building 1024            | get on a non-stop flight?