Very aggressive swapping after 2 hours rest

From: Dietmar Kling (dietmar.kling@sam-net.de)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 09:59:41 EST

hi,

i thought i add a report to the new VM in 2.4.0pre9

My Machine has 256 MB of memory
I left it for two hours ( several Netscapes -Instances,
Mail and xmms running _nothing in swap_ )

When I tried to restart my work after 2 hours,
the machine started swapping madly. I couldn't
run the Netscapes Instances anymore without
2 -3 second silences in xmms. I waited for
5 minutes in the hope when i activate all
Netscapes again it would stabilize slowly,
but it didn't. After killing all Netscapes,
the Machine silenced. I am
now typing this on the again _stable_
machine.

I believe this is a tuning issue, so