Re: Very aggressive swapping after 2 hours rest

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 13:31:13 EST

On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Byron Stanoszek wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Rik van Riel wrote:
>
> > MemFree: memory on the freelist, contains no data
> > Buffers: buffer cache memory
> > Cached: page cache memory
> >
> > Active: buffer or page cache memory which is in active
> > use (that is, page->age > 0 or many references)
> > Inact_dirty: buffer or cache pages with page->age == 0 that
> > /might/ be freeable
> > (page->buffers is set or page->count == 2 when
> > we add the page ... while holding a reference)
> > Inact_clean: page cache pages with page->age == 0 of which
> > we are /certain/ that they are freeable, these
> > are counted almost as free pages
> > Inact_target: the net amount of allocations we get per second,
> > averaged over one minute
>
> I think I understand what those numbers mean, now. :)

Cool ;)

> But, I guess I'm still looking for a calculation that tells me
> exactly how many free (non-in-use) pages that I can allocate
> before running out of memory.

> total used free shared buffers cached
> Mem: 126516 34728 91788 0 264 7836
> -/+ buffers/cache: 26628 99888
> Swap: 32124 964 31160
>

> Here, the value 26628+964 is closer to what the 'actual' amount
> of RAM usage really is by processes (minus shared mem, buffers,
> and cache). But I was unable to find that without the
> allocation. So, my question is, is it possible to add a line to
> /proc/meminfo that tells us this information?

It would be better to put that in a userspace tool like
vmstat.

Oh, and now we're talking about vmstat, I guess that
program also needs support for displaying the number
of active/inactive_dirty/inactive_clean pages ... ;)

(any volunteers?)

regards,

Rik

--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
       -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/