Re: bug in blkdev <-> VFS interaction. (oops) (fwd)

From: Alain Knaff (Alain.Knaff@ltnb.lu)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 13:17:13 EST

>On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Alain Knaff wrote:
>
>> Moreover you seem to have an interesting definition of "most": for
>> many of those ioctls, sysctl would be rather clumsy: FDRAWCMD,
>> FDSETPRM, FDCLRPRM, FDDEFPRM, FDFMTBEG, FDFMTTRK, FDFMTEND, FDFLUSH,
>> FDRESET, FDTWADDLE, FDEJECT. Or do you really mean that for reading a
>
>Flush

What is so shocking about flushing away the cache for a
write-protected floppy?

> and format on write-protected floppy?

Agreed. However, for format, we have a different issue: if you open an
unformatted floppy the normal way, you might get an unreasonable delay
while the floppy driver is trying to autosense its format (which is
not yet there...). Hence the special open("/dev/fd0", 3) format which
gives back a filedescriptor which is neither readable, nor writable,
but which can still be used for ioctls.

> *PRM and FDTWADDLE - why
>not? That leaves FDRAWCMD, FDRESET and FDEJECT. Looks like controller
>commands for me...

What do you mean by "controller" commands? Personnally, I'd find it
extremely bizarre to read a disk using sysctl or /proc/floppy/rawcmd

Alain