Re: bug in blkdev <-> VFS interaction. (oops) (fwd)

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 14:01:49 EST

On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Alain Knaff wrote:

> >You know, I have nothing against having it that way for CDs and Zips.
> >And you have an interesting idea of old-fashioned - I'ld say that
> >echo(1) was in place way before ioctl(2)...
>
> You're right, echo is indeed older than ioctl. However, ioctl is
> older than /proc, or odd character pseudo-devices that are used solely
> for control.

/proc - sure, but character devices? That's funny, because I distinctly
remember using write() for control of TTY in v7. Stuff like color, etc.
If it's not "solely for control"... Oh, OK - not solely, you have the
control and data streams mixed. And that's better which way?

> The point is not to do "do permissions of time of open", but rather to
> "do permissions independantly of open mode".

Exactly. Sorry for bad English - that's precisely what I meant. Can you
show me another example of such thing?

> If you still find the permission(inode,2) thing so ugly, I could move
> it from open() to fd_ioctl().

No, thanks. That would be even more weird.