Re: bug in blkdev <-> VFS interaction. (oops) (fwd)

From: Alain Knaff (Alain.Knaff@ltnb.lu)
Date: Sat Sep 16 2000 - 14:07:14 EST

>On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Alain Knaff wrote:
>
>> >Flush
>>
>> What is so shocking about flushing away the cache for a
>> write-protected floppy?
>
>Erm... The fact that final close() will do it anyway?

Well it shouldn't, that would be a useless performance hit.

> Oh, and the fact
>that we have a generic ioctl() doing the same.

This is interesting. Could you supply some details, so I can add
support for it to the floppy driver?

>> > *PRM and FDTWADDLE - why
>> >not? That leaves FDRAWCMD, FDRESET and FDEJECT. Looks like controller
>> >commands for me...
>>
>> What do you mean by "controller" commands? Personnally, I'd find it
>> extremely bizarre to read a disk using sysctl or /proc/floppy/rawcmd
>
>How about /dev/fd0ctl? I also find use of sysctl() an extremely bizarre
>way to read the disk. The thing being, ioctl() is not better. Dunno about
>you, but I prefer to use read() for reading...

Why do we suddenly have to change the structure of the floppy API,
after it worked flawlessly for years? What will be next? Will we
suddenly need a /dev/cdromplay in addition to /dev/cdrom just because
you don't understand some of Jens' code, but are too proud to ask (or
too lazy to browse /usr/src/linux/CREDITS)? This is getting
ridiculous...

Alain