Re: Very aggressive swapping after 2 hours rest

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Sun Sep 17 2000 - 14:36:34 EST

On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 03:43:53PM -0300, Rik van Riel wrote:
> > The new VM, as integrated in -test9-pre1, does the same thing,
>
> Thanks for giving me some credit for my ideas.

Your ideas? This is as much your idea as it is mine (which
it isn't). This is ancient stuff other OSes have been doing
for years ...

I think it's wrong any of us should claim ideas for stuff
that has been done already by other people. It's time to
put away the wheel reinvention kit and LEARN FROM OTHER
SYSTEMS and even from *shudder* books ;)

It is time to stop playing around with ideas that might be
fun. It's time to discover which ideas are working, which
don't and why. And only when the problem is understood, we
should make a kernel patch to fix the problem.

I admit I've done too much playing around without understanding
the issues involved over the last years as well, but it's time
to stop reinventing the (sometimes octangular) wheel and learn
everything from history which we can learn.

regards,

Rik

--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
       -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/