Re: Linux-2.4.0-test9-pre2

From: James Lewis Nance (jlnance@intrex.net)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2000 - 15:21:46 EST

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 10:37:51AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Ok. I think we're getting to the point where there are no major known
> bugs. That means that as of the final 2.4.0-test9 I will no longer accept
> any patches that don't have a critical problem (as defined by Teds list)
> associated with them.
>
> So when you send me a patch, either bug Ted to mark the issue as
> "critical" first, or pay me money. It's that easy.

I have been doing some testing just to see how well the new VM stuff
works. I think I have found a bug in both test9-pre1 and test9-pre2.
If I boot my machine (400MHz AMD-K6 3D+, 128M Ram, IDE disks, 512M swap)
with mem=48M added to the LILO command line and try and build mozilla, the
machine will eventually die. I can still ping it, but I cant connect to
the http or sshd servers, I cant get anything to show up on the monitor,
and the disk does not make any noise. After I reboot (and fsck :-<),
the logs do not contain any information about what happened.

If I run test8 instead of one of the test9 kernels then everything
seems to work. If I dont limit the memory to 48M then the test9 kernels
work fine.

I am attaching the script that I use to build mozilla just in case anyone
wants to try and reproduce this.

Thanks,

Jim