Re: Linux-2.4.0-test9-pre2

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 03:58:48 EST

On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, Mark Orr wrote:

> Has anyone else tried 240-test9-pre2 on low-memory systems?
>
> I compiled 240t9p2, bzlilo'ed it, and rebooted. During
> boot it tripped up on e2fsck -- it was at maximum mount count
> and it stopped during the check.

> Sys: pentium 100, 16Mb RAM + 17 Mb swap

This is interesting to hear. I'm doing tests booting
my system with mem=8m and am busy trying to fix the
performance of low-memory systems.

One of the issues which seems to be affecting performance
is the elevator starvation bug, though, so I'm not sure how
much of the problem is a VM issue.

(my test machine is SCSI and has a decent size queue in
hardware so the elevator algorithm problem doesn't hit
... my workstation, with 192MB RAM and an IDE disk, is
seeing the starvation though)

Once the elevator problem has been solved, we should be able
to see if there is still a big VM problem left, but the tests
with low memory on my SCSI-based test box seem to suggest that
it may well be an elevator related problem...

regards,

Rik

--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
       -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/