Re: The INN/mmap bug

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 06:01:40 EST

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Rik van Riel wrote:

> IMHO it would be really nice if this problem was solved
> on the /PAGE/ level, so it will work for non-buffer
> filesystems as well ;)

It would be nice if we separated the buffer-cache storage pages from the
pagecache buffer-using ones and from the swap ones - logics is seriously
different and using the same code for all of them... Not good. We can
distinguish between them just by looking at ->mapping, AFAICS.

        BTW, I suspect that combination of partial block_flushpage() with
block_truncate_page() should be address_space method (different for NFS,
etc., indeed). Then truncate_inode_pages() would become much simpler
("get rid of pages that went off-limits" rather than "... and do some part
of the work on the partial page". Oh, and block_flushpage() would
be simpler that way.