Re: News gateway not working

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@zytor.com)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 10:37:26 EST

Followup to: <NDBBIAJKLMMHOGKNMGFNAEIGCIAA.ceswiedler@mindspring.com>
By author: "Chris Swiedler" <ceswiedler@mindspring.com>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> I didn't want to post to the list with this, but postmaster@vger.kernel.org
> didn't get a reply.
>
> The NNTP gateway hasn't been working for two weeks-- the last list message
> was 9/2/2000. Maybe this is common knowledge on the list (since I'm not
> subscribed, I obviously wouldn't know...) but it's a little discouraging to
> get absolute silence on fa.linux.kernel. If the problem is known, then
> someone should post directly to the newsgroup and let us know when it might
> be fixed. I know there were some massive changes when the list switched to
> new servers, and hopefully that's the reason and it can be fixed soon.
>
> For many people, the newsgroup is a much easier way to read the list, and
> furthermore it reduces the load on vger, because otherwise we'd have to
> subscribe. So please...look kindly on us.

You'd have to talk to the administrator of that gateway.
Unfortunately, the centralized gateway (linux.dev.kernel) was shut
down by decree due to someone's idea that doing so would stop spam, so
everyone has been running their own little hacks with various levels
of success.

        -hpa

http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt