Re: Linux-2.4.0-test9-pre2

From: David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 15:45:26 EST

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 09:53:41PM +0200, schwidefsky@de.ibm.com wrote:

> >> Linus,
> >
> >> Where do architecture maintainers stand when they don't submit their
> >> problems to linux-kernel or the great Ted Bug List(tm)?
> >
> >Up against the wall so we can shoot them?
> >
> >:)
>
> So I am one of the guys who will be shot ... I wanted to do an update for
> the s/390 architecture since weeks but there was always something more
> important. I finally cut some hours out of my ribs and made a patch against
> linux-2.4.0-test8. The diff for files in arch/s390, include/asm-s390 and
> drivers/s390 is pretty big, about 1 MB. The diffs for non s/390 files is
> smaller, only 35 KB.
> The question is now do you want to have the patch or do we wait until 2.4.1
> ?

Well, I'm not Linus (thank $DEITY for that; in that case, Linux would've
been an operating-system for the C=64...), but imho it would be cool if
we for once managed to release a v2.4.0 which actually managed to build
at least for some configurations on each platform. Oh, and I do firmly
believe that the S390 would be pretty non-critical to change, as it's
a new platform anyway, and the userbase is probably not that large yet
(hopefully it will become!)

As for me, I'm content as long as MCA-support and MPC7400 support works
properly for respectively x86 and PPC...

/David Weinehall
  _ _
 // David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </