Re: NMI Watchdog detected LOCKUP on CPU1 (stext_lock)(2.4.0-test9-pre2)

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.org)
Date: Tue Sep 19 2000 - 20:59:18 EST

Dave,

I did a

rpm -rebuild egcs
rpm -rebuild glibc
ldconfig

and it went away.

I reinstalled a clean Open Linux 2.4 and just did

ldconfig
ldconfig

without rebuilding and it went also went away, so I don't think rebuilding
had much to do with it. I did spend any time looking further into it.

One issue with this is that the jump into the spinning code will always be a
long jump since these segments end up where ever the linker feels like
emitting them. Inlinging the spining code to less than a 512 byte boundry
would make the long jump into a short jump and speed things up. I've also
noticed that the linker does not always align them on 16 bytes boudries
(which is what Intel likes to see for speed).

All assembler functions in NetWare are always preceeded with an 'align 16'
directive and this does increase execution speed -- something to think
about...

:-)

Jeff