Re: lvm in 2.4.0-test9pre5

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2000 - 19:13:57 EST

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 06:38:39PM -0500, Peter Samuelson wrote:
> Right. Functionally they overlap (lvm can do the equivalent of md
> linear) but structurally, the md drivers all operate under the md

lvm can do linear and raid0 (striping in two or more disks), and it supports
live snapshotting of the logical volume (but it's a not a persistent snapshot
at the moment so you lose its data when you reboot). It's still useful for
backups of a raw logical volume though. Checkpoint and block, snapshot, unblock
and then backup from the snapshot and then drop the snapshot when the backup
completes.

> Since it's just two source files I would leave it in drivers/block/.

Yep, that looks ok to me.

Andrea