Re: [DOC] Debugging early kernel hangs

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Sat Sep 23 2000 - 05:57:38 EST

On Sat, 23 Sep 2000 12:42:13 +0200,
Benjamin Herrenschmidt <bh40@calva.net> wrote:
>However, there's still a huge gap between the last progress() message and
>availability of the frame buffer device. The simple console has the
>advantage of outputing existing printk messages. (basically, it's a
>console using prom_printf).

Something I forgot to mention about debugging using screen writes. If
the problem is caused by incorrect compiler output then even printk can
fail. Not because the C code is wrong but because the generated
assembler is wrong. Writing direct to screen memory is as simple as it
gets and gives the compiler little or no chance to get it wrong.