Re: Given an image, how can show its config?

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Sat Sep 23 2000 - 06:08:35 EST

On Sat, 23 Sep 2000 11:33:31 +0200,
Daniel Phillips <news-innominate.list.linux.kernel@innominate.de> wrote:
>I'd just like to remind you of Alan Cox's suggestion about appending
>.config.gz to bzImage so that it doesn't get loaded into memory, and
>my suggestion to put System.map.gz there as well.

I worry about anything that increases the on disk size of bzImage, even
if the extra data does not get loaded into kernel memory.

629590 2.2.16/arch/i386/boot/bzImage
786273 2.4.0-test8/arch/i386/boot/bzImage

cat .config System.map | gzip | wc -c
107591

That would take my 2.4.0 bzImage to 893864, it does not leave much room
out of a 1.4Mb floppy for LILO files. We could have multiple make
targets, with and without appended config/map but that just complicates
the build environment.

This is all to protect those few poor 'administrators' who cannot keep
track of three separate files. We should not coddle such idiots, if
they cannot track 3 files they should not be configuring Linux.
Anybody who loses their config and System.map will learn from their
mistake and only do it once or they will never learn, in which case
they are better off running Windows.

"Think of it as evolution in action".