weird mem crap in test9-pre6

From: safemode (safemode@voicenet.com)
Date: Sat Sep 23 2000 - 09:34:04 EST

I'd like to start out by saying Rik's latest patch to test8 was working
GREAT ....except that deadlock problem which after 7 days of uptime in X

finally occurred. So, I thought, updating to the latest normal kernel
should have that and it fixed. Obviously I was wrong. The kernel is
displaying either A. the wrong mem usage in ps and /proc/meminfo or B.
is totally fucked up in the VM or C. someone decided FULL utilization of

all available memory was necessary in linux. Like the pre-rik vm fixes,

my kernel is now obviously using a whole lot of swap for no apparant
reason except the kernel likes to hurt the hdd. Also i'm getting
DMA timeouts again causing infinite ide reset loops (which btw are very
cool.. you should try it sometimes *hint* someone make a limit where
the system just reboots after so many of these damn things ...i see no
reason why it should loop to infinite), anyways, if anyone wants some
mem info about this tell me ..i'll paste the contents of /proc/meminfo
here ..but i'm not sure what else you'll need to figure out why it's
being weird.

I'm using linux-2.4.0-test9-pre6 on a pii 300 440lx without DRI and
framebuffer but with scsi emu cdrom support. i'm using DMA on one hdd
at the moment in hopes it wont timeout ..but i used to be able to use it

on both hdd's. This was compiled by gcc-2.95.2

/proc/mtrr:
reg00: base=0x00000000 ( 0MB), size= 128MB: write-back, count=1
reg01: base=0xec000000 (3776MB), size= 32MB: write-combining, count=1

/proc/meminfo:
        total: used: free: shared: buffers: cached:
Mem: 130060288 127926272 2134016 0 749568 33042432
Swap: 205271040 80523264 124747776
MemTotal: 127012 kB
MemFree: 2084 kB
MemShared: 0 kB