Re: [DOC] Debugging early kernel hangs

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Sep 23 2000 - 08:12:48 EST

On Sat, 23 Sep 2000, Russell King wrote:

> Keith Owens writes:
> > Something I forgot to mention about debugging using screen writes. If
> > the problem is caused by incorrect compiler output then even printk can
> > fail. Not because the C code is wrong but because the generated
> > assembler is wrong. Writing direct to screen memory is as simple as it
> > gets and gives the compiler little or no chance to get it wrong.
>
> And I'll try to make the point a second time that everything does not have
> a character-based screen to write to.

So what? For platforms which have a nice easy way to stick ASCII on
screen, use this. For other platforms, find some other approach - if you
have a nice easy serial port handy, try feeding the characters there.

This feature doesn't need to work identically on all platforms. It doesn't
even need to work on all platforms (although that would be nice).

James.