Re: Given an image, how can show its config?

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Sun Sep 24 2000 - 18:59:05 EST

On Sat, 23 Sep 2000 14:15:44 +0100 (BST),
James Sutherland <jas88@cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>How about putting these files in the modules directory? That way, we have
>a nice consistent location for them.

Why do you think modutils 2.3.14 added a prune list of files to ignore
in /lib/modules/`uname -r`? The current (2.3.17) list from modprobe -c is

# Prune
prune modules.dep
prune modules.pcimap
prune System.map
prune .config
prune build
prune vmlinux
prune vmlinuz
prune bzImage
prune zImage

The 2.5 Makefiles rewrite will create /lib/modules/`uname -r`, even if
you do not use modules (Hi, Rusty ;) and install the kernel specific
output files in it. There will also be enough information saved in
/lib/modules to allow external compilation of third party software
without having to guess what the kernel compile options were, this
includes module symbol version information. This is all covered in

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/kbuild/makefile-wishlist-2.5-4.bz2.

The Makefile rewrite is definitely a 2.5 project, it is too big a
change for 2.4. Whether we rename /lib/modules to /lib/kernel has not
been decided yet. BTW, any discussion about this rewrite should be on
the linux-kbuild list, not linux-kernel (yet). See 2.4.0-test9-pre6
MAINTAINERS.