Re: [DOC] Debugging early kernel hangs

From: Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 01:13:28 EST

James Sutherland writes:
> On Sat, 23 Sep 2000, Russell King wrote:
> > And I'll try to make the point a second time that everything does not have
> > a character-based screen to write to.
>
> So what? For platforms which have a nice easy way to stick ASCII on
> screen, use this. For other platforms, find some other approach - if you
> have a nice easy serial port handy, try feeding the characters there.

So what? It shouldn't be called "VIDEO_CHAR" then - calling it that
describes ONE implementation only, not what it is actually doing.
Something more like DEBUGCH(char) or whatever is a better choice because
it describes what the intention of it is, rather than the implementation.
   _____
  | | | | http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/personal/aboutme.html / / |
  / | THE developer of ARM Linux |+| /|\