Re: [RFC] Additional pad in struct stat(64)

From: Christoph Hellwig (hch@ns.lst.de)
Date: Tue Sep 26 2000 - 13:25:01 EST

On Tue, Sep 26, 2000 at 08:14:22PM +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> Ch> Ok.
> Ch> But glibc seems to ignore additional pad at the end of struct stat
> Ch> (the new st_ino stuff worked, too).
> Ch> For glibc 2.2 there would simply be a new version number for the xstat hack.
>
> No - we would use symbol versioning. Those ever changing kernel
> interfaces are a nightmare. :-(

Hehe, that's why I'd like to introduce some additional pad with my patch ;)

> It might be better if you could show us a possible patch for struct
> stat so that we know what you mean

unsigned int st_flags
(unsigned int __pad8[3])

at the end of struct stat64;

> - and can tell you exactly what
> results this would have.

Ok, a patch is at ftp.openlinux.org/pub/people/hch/fs/fflags-test9-A.diff.

WARNING: the ext2 ioctl interface for setting flags is broken in this patch.

A fix is in my tree, but I have to separate it from some other changes
(and test if does _really_ work ;))

        Christoph

--
Always remember that you are unique.  Just like everyone else.