Re: Posting to this list without 500 bounces?

From: Mo McKinlay (mmckinlay@gnu.org)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 14:44:12 EST

> > When I was researching the use of ORBS and MAPS a few weeks
> > back, my first thought was that the DUL would unfairly block Linux
> > users running Sendmail. Looks like that's true.
>
> Just give sendmail a smart_host of your ISP's mail server. In theory
> I guess this slows thing down, and yes it's a pain, but on the other
> hand, it works.

Unless your ISP's mailservers are unreliable. In which case, you have
problems. Taking the "so, change your ISP" line isn't acceptable, and
neither are ISP's mailservers being ORBed themselves.

It doesn't discriminate against people using Sendmail on Linux; it
discriminates against anybody who runs their own mail server because they
MIGHT JUST have more competence than the people who run their ISP's
servers. While the original blacklist I agree with and support
wholeheartedly, the DUL list a pathetic attempt at reducing spam, and has
cost users _FAR_ more time and money in trying to work around it in order
to send legitimate mail than could possibly have been saved by preventing
the spam that originates from dialup IPs.

Instead of doing this, ISPs should start configuring their mail servers
properly and close those damned open relays. THAT is who MAPS should be
putting pressure on, not the innocent end-users.

My serveral cents,

Mo [who is now praying that his ISP's mail server has decided to work
today :P]

--
Mo McKinlay             Chief Software Architect          inter/open Labs