Re: Posting to this list without 500 bounces?

From: Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 15:25:09 EST

In article <3776575819.970144217@[10.10.1.2]>,
Martin J. Bligh <mbligh@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>> When I was researching the use of ORBS and MAPS a few weeks
>> back, my first thought was that the DUL would unfairly block Linux
>> users running Sendmail. Looks like that's true.
>
>Just give sendmail a smart_host of your ISP's mail server. In theory
>I guess this slows thing down, and yes it's a pain, but on the other
>hand, it works.

It speeds things up in a lot of cases. What if the destination host
is down? What if the destination host is in Zimbabwe connected
through a 9600 baud modem? Much easier to transfer your mail
full speed to the ISPs smarthost and let it care about all that.

And unreliable ISP SMTP servers? Hard to imagine, as 99.5% of the
userbase undoubtedly uses that SMTP server and I can't believe
that a reasonable ISP randomly drops email messages.

That being said you should never get bounces when posting to the
Linux kernel mailing list, since it isn't you who delivers all
that mail to the endusers, but the majordomo running on vger
or one of the exploders. The SMTP envelope from address should
also be set to majordomo@vger, so I can't see how you would get
hundreds of ORBS and DUL bounces ... &^%*& fscking out-of-office
replies, yes (they should reinstate hanging for that ...)

Mike.