Re: Linux kernel modules development in C++

From: Ragnar Hojland Espinosa (ragnar@macula.net)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2000 - 21:05:00 EST

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 04:44:55PM -0400, Horst von Brand wrote:
> Ragnar Hojland Espinosa <ragnar@macula.net> said:
> > On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 01:45:40AM +0200, Igmar Palsenberg wrote:
> > Let's put it the other way... there aren't many people who know C++
> > around. Well, there are less people who understand the kernel. Then,
> > maybe, to make it more accessible, we should dumb it down.
>
> It is not necessarily a good thing that everybody and her grandmother think
> they can hack on Linux... exhibit A for the defense: Look at the average
> skill level of your run-of-the-mill $GUI_WORDPROCESSOR user: Sure, they are

Yes, yes.. I should had added some ;) smiley there; I was trying to point
out that the fact that not all mainstream kernel hackers know (or like;) C++
shouldn't be IMO a reason to put it aside.

[ Disclaimer: Please note I'm not advocating for C++ifying the kernel; we
  all know it wouldn't be a good idea as it is. ]

--
____/|  Ragnar Højland     Freedom - Linux - OpenGL      Fingerprint  94C4B
\ o.O|                                                   2F0D27DE025BE2302C