Re: ext2 caches

From: Igmar Palsenberg (maillist@chello.nl)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 15:16:20 EST

> Hi,
> We would like to do some operations on a ext2 disk while it is mounted
> read-only.
> The problem is that our operations have no effects because everithing is
> cached.
> Is it possible to shrink all the caches, especially the superblock
> caches and to reload the changes?
> We used prune_dcache (kernel 2.2.14) and dev_fsync . It has some effect
> but none on the superblock and
> the root of the disk.

As far as I can remember the superblock is only read when the fs is
mounted. Changing the superblock when mounted doesn't reload it. Only a
mount does. This probably because chaging the superblock at runtime
doesn't make sense.

You might want to look at the RAID code, as it does some nice magic with
superblocks.

> Thanks by advance
> -- Fred and Tom

        Igmar