Re: What is up with Redhat 7.0?

From: Kris Karas (ktk@bigfoot.com)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 17:46:37 EST

Alec Smith wrote:

> I'll stick to Debian -- It might be a bit outdated at times, but Debian
> "just works." Maybe RedHat could take some hints from the Debian guys.

Or Slackware, which is clean, simple, eminently hackable, and most importantly
of all, does not make patches to programs that gratuitously alter behaviour
which you have come to depend upon and expect.

I installed a RH 6.2 system the other day, went to invoke a suite of nice
automated kernel building scripts I have used for ages, and encountered many of
the issues mentioned in this thread. The more I tried to do, the more tempted I
was to pull my hair out (and I don't have as much to go around as Alan :-)

cd /usr/src/
/bin/rm -f linux linux-2.2.17; ln -s linux-2.2.17 linux
tar xzf linux-2.2.17.tar.gz
if [ ! -L linux -o ! -d linux-2.2.17 ]; then
  echo "Sorry, `whoami`, but your symbolic link,"
  echo "/usr/src/linux, has just disappeared in a puff of"
  echo "greasy, black smoke. Try Slackware?"
  # No -U's were killed in the making of this message.
fi

Kris