Re: reading 1 hardsector size, not one block size

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.org)
Date: Fri Sep 29 2000 - 18:49:04 EST

Al,

This is going to be a continuing problem for non-Unix file systems like
NTFS and NWFS that rely on the ability to read and write variable length
sector runs. At some point, the AIO subsystem needs to get fixed. I
submitted a patch based on Linus' suggestion that the check in
ll_rw_block() be removed to allow folks to chain variable length sector
requests. After I did, half the disk drivers seemed to croak and
break. I doubt 2.4 could be changed, but 2.5 needs this or it's going
to keep biting. The whole buffer head chaining crap is too memory
intensive.

How about

<disk, starting sector, sector count, callback> for the request?
Forcing us to use a 512 byte block size sucks up tons of memory and
creates too much overhead to get high performance numbers. I notice
very significant performance differences when using 512 blocks in NWFS
and EXT2 with 1024 and 4K block sizes.

Jeff