Re: reading 1 hardsector size, not one block size

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 00:16:53 EST

Well I am of the opinion (some say it stinks),

Linux needs a mixed layer(s) above/below the FS to do direct access to the
drives. This must be placed in the request/list_head for continuity, but
I know what Matt wants and why.

I am working on it in ATA, but my partner in SCSI land refuse to attempt
this for the kernel after the heat I took.

Matt wants what I want.

Bypass FS and give me the contents of X-Sectors beginning at Y-LBA.

Basically you can de-stroke a drive with what you let the OS/FS report.
Once this is done there is no way any FS can get to the stuff beyond what
it knows about.

100 sectors total drive size.

OS/FS knows about 90 sectors and can only do up to 90.

Bypass Layer with direct access will see the stuff from 91-100.

If this doesn not mean anything, then you should know that partition
tables are going to be duplicated at the tail and you need to under report
the capacity to prevent the overright.

Just new stuff that has not hit the masses yet.

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy