Re: What is up with Redhat 7.0?

From: Marc Lehmann (pcg@goof.com)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2000 - 07:00:58 EST

On Sat, Sep 30, 2000 at 01:37:56AM -0400, "Theodore Y. Ts'o" <tytso@MIT.EDU> wrote:
> It's not just gcc which RedHat did this to. They do this regularly with

They did this in the past with glibc and perl, for example, leading to
really "interesting" portability problems. I always thought these were
just bugs, caused by somebody who didn't think enough or didn't test
enough, as happens all the time, but now...

Another big problem is, however, that their marketing department obviously
sellls all these experimental snapshots as stable and official (although
their gcc is highly patched for example).

> 2.2. He's within his rights to do so, but if he does, it will make
> RedHat possibly incompatible with all other Linux distributions.

It already is. The 2.96 ABI is already incompatible to 2.95.2 AND will
be incompatible to 3.0. Redhat mentined a lot of times that they want to
avoid breaking the ABI twice. This pertains mainly to c++, but I am sure
that complex applications (usually the big commercial ones) will break a
lot.

OTOH, drepper@redhat.com might get pressed into not doing incompatible
changes, although I trust drepper to act truely honest. This might not
mean anything, however, since redhat was most probably ignoring their
own people (e.g. from cygnus) who I really believe didn't support their
decision. Redhat might just hack their libc to be redhat-7.0 compatible
later...

> regard. Hopefully ISV's will be able to figure out for themselves that
> it would be a Bad Idea to develop applications under RH 7.0, since it

Sounds like a parallel world :(

> If you don't like this, I suggest you send mail complaining to RedHat.
> Customer complaints are going to be the only way that RH is going to be
> influenced not to play games like this....

Hmm... (un)fortunately not most people are redhat customers yet. Or are
they? Indeed, this is a good idea, so people, go and complain!

Anyway, redhat *is* starting to act immorally. Reminds me of some other
big company who tries to monopolize his os by making it incompatible to
anythign else...

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@opengroup.org |e|