Re: What is up with Redhat 7.0?

From: Martin Dalecki (dalecki@evision-ventures.com)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 08:27:41 EST

Marc Lehmann wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 30, 2000 at 03:07:49PM +0100, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> > > If you don't like this, I suggest you send mail complaining to RedHat.
> > > Customer complaints are going to be the only way that RH is going to be
> > > influenced not to play games like this....
> >
> > Remind me next time I get to deal with crap from VA customers because VA
> > Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. I think you owe an apology
>
> Actually, it's redhat who owes an apology to the commnity at large for
> _already_ creating a maintainance hassle for gcc and other free software
> projects because they receive bogus bug reports because redhat shipped
> a broken, experimental, unreleased compiler as if it were an official

Get real: RedHat owns cygnus and cygnus owns GCC so what do you complain
about? It's up to them to decide which compiler is stable or which
isn't.
(Froget about the "committe" stuff...)
And then there is drepper@redhat.com - so wht's up with the glibc?
I can understand redhat somehow. There are good reasons for them to take
even CVS snaps and ship them instead of *very* outdated so called stable
versions.

> version. Worse, creating a maintainance nightmare for almost everybody by
> making redhat binary incompatibly to other linux distributions, therefore
> effectively forking gnu/linux in a way unseen before.(*)
>
> However, I can understand that you have to support redhat and have
> probably lost your neutrality.
>
> (*) redhat is a major distribution and obviously now plays monopoly games.
>
> --
> -----==- |
> --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ / pcg@opengroup.org |e|
> The choice of a GNU generation |
> |
> -

- phone: +49 214 8656 283
- job:   STOCK-WORLD Media AG, LEV .de (MY OPPINNIONS ARE MY OWN!)
- langs: de_DE.ISO8859-1, en_US, pl_PL.ISO8859-2, last ressort:
ru_RU.KOI8-R