Re: Soft-Updates for Linux ?

From: Christoph Hellwig (hch@caldera.de)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 10:39:51 EST

Robert Redelmeier <redelm@ev1.net> wrote:
> I'm wondering if there are any plans to bring Kirk McKusick's "Soft-Updates"
> to Linux in 2.5 ??? Kirk has recently modified his licence (friendlier).
> I could only find some noncomittal postings on LKML from 1997.

I doubt. There are lots of interesting journaling filesystems for
Linux aviable (xfs, ext3, jfs, reiserfs, nwfs(?), vxfs(commercial)).
And a least a few will be merged in 2.5.
For people that disklike the disadvantages of journaling fses,
Daniel Philips is working on tux2 which is in some respect similar
to su (always writing comsitatn metadata to disk without a journal)
but the implementation seems much more interesting ;)

        Christoph

--
Always remember that you are unique.  Just like everyone else.