Re: Soft-Updates for Linux ?

From: Rik van Riel (riel@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 15:36:09 EST

On Sun, 1 Oct 2000, bert hubert wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 03:39:51PM +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > Robert Redelmeier <redelm@ev1.net> wrote:
> > > I'm wondering if there are any plans to bring Kirk McKusick's "Soft-Updates"
> > > to Linux in 2.5 ??? Kirk has recently modified his licence (friendlier).
> > > I could only find some noncomittal postings on LKML from 1997.
> >
> > I doubt. There are lots of interesting journaling filesystems for
> > Linux aviable (xfs, ext3, jfs, reiserfs, nwfs(?), vxfs(commercial)).
> > And a least a few will be merged in 2.5.
>
> Last I heard from 'El Penguino' is that some of the new breed of
> filesystems may even be considered for 2.4.n, for some non-zero
> but finite value of n.
>
> If Rik gets some kind of memory pressure callback API in the
> kernel, there is no theoretical reasons why the journalling
> filesystems couldn't be merged safely.

Once the VM is stable with the current feature set and OOM
handling has been added, I'll probably look at the support
code for the journaling filesystems.

(the other VM things are nice too, but can wait until 2.5)

regards,

Rik

--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
       -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/