Re: What is up with Redhat 7.0?

From: Marc Lehmann (pcg@goof.com)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 18:22:01 EST

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 12:19:03AM +0200, Martin Dalecki <dalecki@evision-ventures.com> wrote:
> > > on rehdat need redhat versions of the development toolchain / runtime
> > > environment to use them :(
>
> Ever tried to recompile SuSE apache from the src.rpm they provide?

We are talking binaries here, but anyway, what you say is easy to do:
nobody *forces* you to apply their patches or forces you to even use their
sourcecode. Go and fetch the official apcahe, it will just run fine.

> THAT is OFFENDING! Not just the fact whatever who want's to be

True, it is offending in some sense, but this is not specific to suse and
is, while maybe worthwhile on a "bash all distributions"-list (or even
here ;) is not the actual point, which is binary incompatibility because
of forked versions for no benefits.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /       pcg@opengroup.org |e|