Re: 2.2.18pre14 msdos mounted filesystems now in uppercase?

From: Andries Brouwer (aeb@veritas.com)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 20:14:55 EST

On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 12:36:16PM -0400, tenthumbs wrote:

> I have some fat16 partitions which I mount as msdos, intentionally not
> vfat. With 2.2.18pre14, the listings are now in uppercase which is a big
> change from previous kernels. A bug or a feature?

Well, looking at the patch you see fragments like

- if (c >= 'A' && c <= 'Z') c += 32;
+ if (small_letter) c = tolower(c);

and

+ opts->small_letter = 0;

and

+ else if (!strcmp(this_char,"small"))
+ opts->small_letter = 1;

so I suppose that if you try the "small" mount option
you should get the old behaviour back.

[Clearly not a bug, although I don't know whether it is
a good idea to change the case of filenames halfway a
sequence of stable kernels.]

Andries