Getting fullspeed from Speedstep processors.

From: dan carter (dcarter@waitaki.otago.ac.nz)
Date: Sun Oct 01 2000 - 22:21:03 EST

Is it possible to run these intel 'speedstep' processors at full speed?

We've got a Dell latitude CPx 650. I notice earlier in this list Alan
Cox recommends 2.2.15pre19 for full support of speedstep processors.
I've upgraded to 2.2.16 but am still getting poor performance from this
machine, we've also tried 2.4.0-test6. /proc/cpuinfo reports 170 MHz
and 330 BogoMIPS. Benchmarks perform poorly, for example the
distributed.net client gets 440K RC5 keys/sec while under windows it
gets 1.8M k/sec, and compiling 2.4.0 took forever.

I've tried setting the bios to force speedstep 'maximum performance'
mode, but this had no effect.

This is all while on AC Power, any ideas?