Re: problems with 2.4.0-test8

From: Adam Sampson (ats1@ukc.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Oct 03 2000 - 12:39:18 EST

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 01:54:55PM -0300, Rik van Riel wrote:
> > It always happens the same although I can't repeat it on demand.
> > Start a kernel compile and go read mail. Somewhere upon
> > switching mail folders in netscape it locks. Box is _never_
> > under swap when this occurs. Wish it would at least log
> > _something_ to report.
>
> That sounds suspiciously like something going to sleep
> and not being woken up again ...

I had an interesting one yesterday (when I was running test9-pre7 with the
reiserfs and Riel VM patches)---I came back to my machine which was running
X to find that it had apparently locked (display had frozen, mouse and
keyboard had no effect). I then tried the normal last-ditch Alt-SysRq-s to
get it to sync, and it burst back to life as if nothing had happened...

No messages in the syslog (other than the emergency sync, of course).

On the plus side, test9-pre9 + reiserfs seems to be working nicely. Good
job, guys.

--

Adam Sampson azz@gnu.org