Re: 2.4 kernel problems on 386

From: richardj_moore@uk.ibm.com
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 07:15:59 EST

What you're seeing is a tripple fault. I don't know why this is happening,
but usually it has something to do with the double-fault mechanism being
damaged (or not set-up) when a double-fault occurs. You mentiuon 386 - I
rememeber in OS/2 we have many work-arounds for Intel processor errata - it
might be possible that Linux hasn't catered for all the I32 386 errata -
some of these errata apply to memory management and that's significant
since a tripple fault is often caused by either stack faults or descriptor
faults - both memory problems (I am assuming without checking the Linux
uses a task switch for a double-fault, if it doesn't then a simple
double-fault caused by a stack exception in ring 0 will result ina tripple
fault.).

Again, if this is a 386 issue then you should be aware of the increased
instrcution set for 486, 586 etc..

Richard Moore - RAS Project Lead - Linux Technology Centre (PISC).

http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linux
Office: (+44) (0)1962-817072, Mobile: (+44) (0)7768-298183
IBM UK Ltd, MP135 Galileo Centre, Hursley Park, Winchester, SO21 2JN, UK

johna@babel.apana.org.au on 04/10/2000 11:22:19

Please respond to johna@babel.apana.org.au