2.4.0-test9 load problem

From: Adrian Reber (adrian@lisas.de)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 11:20:07 EST

Hi

I have a Dual Pentium III 500 Mhz machine.
It has 1GB of memory, an internal amimegaraid controller, two additional
scsi ultra-wide controller sym53c875E (using sym53c8xx.o) and acenic
gigabit ethernet card. I'm patching every kernel to use vlan (802.1Q) and
reiserfs. Currently a 2.4.0-test4 kernel i running on it and it is really
stable. uptime 2 months. But no support for the 1GB of memory. Just the
~900 MB.

I decided to use the newest patch for reiserfs and vlan and the newest
kernel. 2.4.0-test8 and 2.4.0-test9. Both kernels had the 4GB support
enabled. They boot fine but the load keeps rising. Sendmail didn't start
anymore and the ftpserver (proftpd), though connections were established,
didn't let you transfer anything. There was no real load on the computer
but the load kept rising until it reached 150, which was the point where i
rebooted the thing an switched back to 2.4.0-test4.

                Adrian