ppa driver failure in 2.4.0-test8 (fwd)

From: Matthew Gabeler-Lee (msg2@po.cwru.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 17:42:42 EST

I sent this to the maintainer of the ppa driver some time ago, and have
received no response.

Please CC me on replies, I'm not on the list.

--
	-Matt

SNAPPY REPARTEE: What you'd say if you had another chance.

---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2000 20:40:26 -0400 (EDT) From: Matthew Gabeler-Lee <msg2@po.cwru.edu> To: campbell@torque.net Subject: ppa driver failure in 2.4.0-test8

I have a relatively old ZIP drive (well back into the ppa era). I recently upgraded to 2.4.0-test8 from 2.4.0-test7, and the ppa driver now no longer seems to work properly.

When I load the drier, the following gets put in the syslog: kernel: ppa: Version 2.05 (for Linux 2.2.x) kernel: ppa: Found device at ID 6, Attempting to use EPP 32 bit kernel: ppa: Communication established with ID 6 using EPP 32 bit kernel: scsi1 : Iomega VPI0 (ppa) interface kernel: scsi : 2 hosts.

At this point, the system hangs up pretty bad. Alt-PrtScn stuff to set the console log level reveals that there is an infinite series of "Detected scsi disk sdXX", where it keeps incrementing the XX through all the letters, and into punctuation, etc.

-- -Matt

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? -- Steven Wright