Re: VM in v2.4.0test9

From: David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 18:16:44 EST

Ok, those two patches (well, I applied both, so I can't decide which was
the triggering factor) makes the system able to deplete the swap before
hanging. Thus, things are fine, right?!

I just hope that we can get a decent OOM-killer now.

Two other considerations, which I remember have been discussed in this
forum before (I can't remember what was said, though):

Why does the kernel overcommit even if overcommit is turned off via
/proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory?

And, why oh why, can't we implement SIGDANGER just like AIX. This has to
be one of the smartest things with AIX mm (for those not into AIX: when
the system runs low on memory, every program receives the signal DANGER.
If the processes does not catch this signal, they get killed if the
memory runs out. If they catch it, they can chose to flush their buffers
and other other non-critical data. The OOM-killer will still kill
processes which catch DANGER if REALLY needed, but it will start with
those that does not catch DANGER.)

/David
  _ _
 // David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </